Monday, January 23, 2012

Restoring Our Nature-Deficit And Our Attention Spans

The topic of Louv's article was personally touching to me. As a young boy I had many attention and hyperactivity problems, and they very often affected my education and learning capabilities.My mother, even though she was a nurse herself, never took me for a formal diagnosis because she did not want me to be put on all the drugs they begun prescribing kids my age. But as I grew and matured I also began spending more time in the outdoors. Growing up in the Keys it was inevitable that I would find my way to the ocean, and once I did I've never turned away from it. I believe spending as much time as I did outside, being physical and interactive, had a profound effect on my attention problems. To this day I am still affected by these issues, but my constant immersion in the outdoors around me keeps it all in check. I make sure I always get enough "nature" in my week. So I agree with all the theories brought up in Louv's article. I believe that "nature-deficit disorder" could be a term we begin hearing regularly. I believe that we must turn to nature therapy and outdoor education and activity to truly help children who are plagued with this condition. The studies that support this theory are becoming more and more numerous and I believe its only a matter of time until we begin prescribing "Nature's Ritalin."

No comments:

Post a Comment